Thursday, July 28, 2005

 
Death schmeath. I've been digging in The Yogini's garden lately. Got a blister on a callous, so I know it's working. Today we brought some plants from the rooftop to transplant in the great outdoors. They had been growing up here for several years, but never really growing too big. We decided it was time to lets their roots roam, so we walked over to the Bernal garden with two night blooming jasmines and a pot of lavender. I went right to work digging up the remaining big weeds and plants that had to go. Some of these were potato plants, and when I started in with the hoe, one after another potato rolled into view. By the time I got the whole area turned and smoothed, I had about 15 medium sized white potatoes. There's some rosemary growing in the garden, so we got a few branches and I'm planning to make a pizza with rosemary potatoes, basil, pesto and goat cheese. I do not have a goat. Yet. There's a beautiful red poppy growing near the front of the plot, right in the center. There are a bunch of "sacks" that will bloom soon, I think. I sturdied up the base of the plant with some rocks that I'd turned up in the soil. I did the same thing with the tomato plants we decided to keep. They say tomatoes don't grow well in San Francisco because it never gets hot enough. Someone should tell the plants in our garden. Other than that, there's a little patch of mint that we're keeping for now and that's about it. The Yogini plans to keep working the soil this week, add some nutrients and then start growing for real.

I keep cleaning up trash that people dump in and around the main garden - they can't get into the individual plots because of the lovely wooden fence around them, but they manage to toss in chip bags and bottle caps and other junk. On the steps and by the sidewalk, some people dump what looks like bags of trash. I can't quite figure it out. I mean, I know they are thoughtless slobs. But it almost seems like they bring their garbage bags down and dump them out. Anyway, it's icky, so I've been sweeping it out and weeding between the sidewalk cracks. I do believe that when things are clean, they have a greater chance of staying that way. If folks see garbage and they have garbage, they are just more likely to join up and build the trash heap. This theory can apply in one's home or workspace. And it cannot, too. Guess it just depends.

Comments:
"If folks see garbage and they have garbage, they are just more likely to join up and build the trash heap."

Or you could do it this way:

"...Until we came to a side road, and off the side of the side road there was another fifteen foot cliff and at the bottom of the cliff there was another pile of garbage. And we decided that one big pile is better than two little piles, and rather than bring that one up we decided to throw ours down."

Dammit! Now I have Alice's Restaurant in my head and no one to sing it with me!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?