Tuesday, August 02, 2005

 
I know I say this often, especially upon return from the north woods, but I've got to get out of the city for good. Driving back today, though pleasant for a while, turned into traffic and then it all became cement and unhappy people living obscenely, whether in poverty or wealth. This is no good for me. What is good for me? Well, once Red and The Pagan finally showed up (why do I expect people to show up on time, they are not me) we drove out of town. Took about a half hour in the middle of the day just to reach the bridge. Yuck. Followed by yum. Over the Golden Gate and to the woods.....The whole ride, we were in the shadow of turkey vultures and hawks coasting over the golden fields. Cows and newly shorn sheep in every other farmer's pasture, and goats and horses and baby horses trying to walk and once, a couple of zebras! Yes I am in California not Zimbabwe. When we hit the coast and turned right at the Bodega Bay Lodge where we stayed with MG (need an alias from you) once and swam in the freezing pool after soaking in the octagonal englassed hot tub, the misty cool fog took over. The breezes were almost too cool for August anywhere else. Stopped at the corner store for some cold ones to celebrate arrival, and then we arrived. Checked out the riverside spots, but decided to head to our usual campground. It was Monday, and though there were a few cars, we alone were camping, so we had our choice of any site in the new growth redwood playground. Red chose the furthest site, and since they were staying three nights, and us only one, and this was their first time here, we went along. With all our gear and food and wood. And our gear is heavier now that we are almost in our late 30's and we camp with an air mattress. Thought that might be all the hiking I would do - back and forth with camping equipment, but I saw that glimmer in The Yogini's pretty brown eyes, and I knew I had to go on. And up. This was the first time I did the hike to the top in a few years, and I found something out. I'm in better shape now than I used to be. It was a pretty serious incline, but it was not too difficult coming up through the trees and jungle-thick shrubs. And when you reach the sunshine at the peak, and the air is like honey, it is absolutely worth whatever it took to get there. We hiked on a bit further on a new path that took us narrowly through berry bushes and ferns. I climbed up a little hill where I suspect the deer sleep at night, and looking out I could see the curves of the coast at Jenner, where the seals gather and the tourists embark on the curviest jags in the coastal highway. The sun beat down and the white caps crashed against the shore and I was very glad I didn't stay at the campsite. More later maybe, but for now I must knit.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?