Saturday, August 20, 2005

 
If you watch the news at all - and maybe you don't because blogs are your source for current events - you may have heard about a humpback whale that washed onto the shore in Half Moon Bay. That whale is not the aforementioned whale of my beautiful day. I'm not just saying this to make me feel better, though I might if I thought it was necessary. That whale washed up the day before my sighting. Of course, this means there is still sadness attached to my superday. Our whale probably hung with the other one. Maybe they were related. Maybe they were dating. So unless, as I tried to convince myself the other day, whales celebrate death because it is tiring traveling the seas for hundreds of years, this was probably a bummed out humpback giving me such joy. Hmmmm.

So, I "marched" 11 miles today. Or I just walked. But three and a half were walked from the Mission to West Portal to see March of the Penguins. And three and a half were walked home. And though there was an extremely steep and mountainous hill to climb and descend, those penguins really endure a hell of a lot more. Every year. Most of the year. Have you been wondering about my math? If not, you should have. But me add good. The Yogini and I did a morning walk earlier in the day to get breakfast, and then to check on the newly planted vegetables in the garden. To my surprise, they were all still there and seemingly pest free. Shook a few pears from a tree and thought of Steve Miller.

About the penguin movie - if you haven't seen it, here's my opinion. I love documentaries. I love nature. I have been a fan of National Geographic for a long time. Starting to wonder where this is going, and if it is going downhill? Yes and no. It was cool and beautiful. The location was stunning and freezing beyond what human folk can really comprehend. The story had the ups and downs that come with nature. The sort of stuff that reminds me time and again that nature sucks. And (or but) it was made kid-friendly, even the steamy sex scene with slo-mo and pump music. I liked that it was made and put on big screens. I just wonder why the thousand other documentaries with just as interesting animal and nature filmage were not. And probably will not. I've seen better. And that's my review. I wondered the whole time how many feathers per square inch (FPSI) these penguins have. And I wondered how the human crew stayed warm. And I wondered if it is hard for nature film makers to stand by and watch animals die, or if they are just at peace with nature sucking.

Made little pizzas for dinner tonight for crappy movie viewing Saturday. Fake sausage, new potatoes, fresh oregano, red onion, garlic and mozzarella. Tomorrow I shall knit. Oh yeah, the crappy movie is on tv. It's Futureworld from 1976 - Peter Fonda and Blythe Danner in the sequel to 1973's Westworld. Fantasy land with robots and the scrappy fella from the Rockford Files. Hard to write....must watch bad good movie....Peter Fonda glasses so big.

Comments:
Congrats on the march--sounds lovely. Also, there are too many things in this post for me to comment on, and other than giggling to myself about FPSI and Peter Fonda's glasses and that awesome ditty you just sang for me, I'm really at a loss.

Oh: I was going to go with thumbtack, but I'm not sure that's worthy.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?