Thursday, August 18, 2005

 
I'm not suggesting that you have to see a humpback whale to have a good day. I don't believe you need to wake up in a forest with towering redwoods and fir trees, either. You certainly don't need to have a morning campfire, steamy coffee and a warmed croissant with melted cheese. And every good day doesn't include waking up next to The Yogini the morning after a 5 mile hike up a mountain. But, if you have even one of those things, and I am saying this from experience, it is bound to be a day to remember and one worth savoring. Because how likely is it that any of these things will happen again any time soon? I can't say for sure. I can say that if I had to choose between a full-time job with lots of pay and working for myself so that I could have days like this last one, the answer would be B. Because...I SAW A HUMPBACK WHALE TODAY!!!!! Not to negate all the other wonderful stuff, like the one I forgot to mention, stopping on the way home and planting vegetables in the garden. Or walking downtown this afternoon with The Yogini and planning for our future. But, as we turned out toward the coast,halfway between Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz, and we had just passed Pescadero beach, I asked The Yogini to let me know if she saw a whale. Then, and I swear I am not making this up, three seconds later I looked out and there was this great beast rising out of the water to take a look around. Luckily I screamed with joy, so The Yogini could see her too. I have been known to spot "seaweed" sea creatures on occasion. We pulled over and jumped out and climbed a ridge. Two guys were there, and they asked if we'd seen the humpback. We giggled and answered something that meant yes. Then we scanned the sea for her. And there she was again and again and again. Her tail. Her blowhole blowing spray into the air. Her huge body caressing the waves. Or the waves caressing her huge body. I don't know. It was, needless to say, hard to leave. Each time we said goodbye and asked for a final glimpse, she agreed and showed up. There is probably more to this story, but I have to keep you coming back. Can you rhyme something GOOD with humpback?

Comments:
Damn, Skycat. That's a fabulous tail--um, tale--of humpback joy. I actually posted about your post. Thanks for making me feel like I was almost there. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?