Friday, December 01, 2006

 
It's December. I made some fig newtons. Haven't packed a thing, but I did call Amtrak for some shipping info. Here's a question, or a quandry. If I ship 500lbs with the post office and it goes directly to the house I need it at, that will cost me $425. If I ship it with Amtrak, to a train station an hour away from destination, where someone will have to go and pick it up and bring it, it will cost $285. That's $140 for convenience for those of you who are mathematically impaired - no finger pointing. Any thoughts. Note: I don't really have any money, but I've got to get my goods where I'm going, and I am not driving a uhaul crapster all the way across the country in December with the Yogini and 2 cats.

Comments:
Hmmmm. Is it any cheaper to ship with UPS? I think that's how I got most of my big things out here. Also, and I'm sure you know this, but Media Mail is totally your friend--you can ship books, CDs, records (well, generally "media") for super freaking cheap.

Otherwise, of your two options, I would probably pay for convenience (but that's why I'm completely freaking broke)....
 
Yeah. I have a grid with usps, ups, amtrak and other options. UPS actually costs the most, but not by all that much. What do I really need anyway? Already sent about 1/2 of our media mail. YIKES. Too much to think about. I go to Mill Valley to proofread. So soothing.
 
We dont have a truck but wed be happy to help get things from a to b when you get here! Just keep us posted...
 
You are so very sweet and generous. Gracias por todo. We shall have to have a drink together, blog about it, and coax LB to join us.
 
Fat chance for LB, she's broke. There goes my wife extending me to take care of a commitment she made.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?